Here’s our agenda <click the link!> for today’s class meeting; it includes a schedule and all the links we’ll need to coordinate our online collaboration.
Today’s Hosts: Yamil Lora, Free Hunts Point WiFi Network Manager, and Danny Peralta, Executive Director, The POINT CDC
This virtual field trip will introduce us to a neighborhood community organization in the South Bronx that has been building resiliency and community through the arts for 25 years — and four years ago, started training Digital Stewards to build local WiFi. Now The POINT has a green roof with antennas beaming WiFi out to the community, and they’re using their network to prepare the neighborhood — an environmental justice community — for future storms like Sandy as well as to monitor air quality.
To prepare for class:
- Remember: your final project proposals are due by end-of-day on Wednesday! And if you haven’t done so already, please sign up here for a time to meet virtually with Shannon and Greta on April 13 or 14 to discuss your final project!
- Please watch this short video about Slack threads [here’s more info about threads, FWIW].
Preparing for Today’s Discussion and Virtual Field Trip:
- Feel free to post any news stories or other resources pertinent to our class — or even personal anecdotes about your own experiences with connectivity and community — on our class Slack!
- Read about The POINT CDC and Free Hunts Point WiFi
- Read Michelle Young, “A Green Roof Atop THE POINT in the Bronx is Providing Free Internet to Hunts Point,” Untapped New York (November 14, 2019).