Field Trip, 4:30 to 6pm: The POINT CDC, 940 Garrison Ave., The Bronx
Hosts: Yamil Lora, Free Hunts Point WiFi Network Manager, and Danny Peralta, Executive Director, The POINT CDC
This field trip will introduce us to a neighborhood community organization in the South Bronx that has been building resiliency and community through the arts for 25 years — and four years ago, started training Digital Stewards to build local WiFi. Now The POINT has a green roof with antennas beaming WiFi out to the community, and they’re using their network to prepare the neighborhood — an environmental justice community — for future storms like Sandy as well as to monitor air quality.
- Read about The POINT CDC and Free Hunts Point WiFi
- Michelle Young, “A Green Roof Atop THE POINT in the Bronx is Providing Free Internet to Hunts Point,” Untapped New York (November 14, 2019)
- Revisit the Master Plan: NYC Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer, The Internet Master Plan (2020) [you read the Executive Summary for February 3; now, read the whole plan!].
- Possible visit to Hunts Point Food Distribution Center
- Check out the example of how Philadelphia’s community organizers used a city franchising process to make huge gains in digital equity. Could NYC’s grassroots do something similar?
- PhillyCam, “City Signs New Cable Franchise with Comcast” (2015).
- Media Mobilizing Project, “Communities Across Philadelphia Praise Historic Comcast Cable Franchise” (2015)
Explore the philosophy and tools of Community Technology:
- Diana Nucera, et al., Teaching Community Technology Handbook (Detroit Community Technology Project, 2016).
- (Re)Building Technology, A Community Technology Field Guide.
- Our Data Bodies’ Digital Defense Playbook: Community Power Tools for Reclaiming Data.